5 Important Guides to Building Your Catholic Spiritual Life
Our Catholic faith is so rich, sometimes it’s hard to know where to start if we want to learn more about it. Should we sit down and read the Bible? Read the Catechism? Discover more about the saints?
Here are just 5 paths you could take to continue your faith education:
1. Apologetics: Study the teachings of the Church not only so you understand them more fully, but also so you can defend or explain those teachings to others! Answer questions such as: is there really any evidence Christ rose from the dead? How do we know the world was created by someone? What does it mean to say that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist?
2. Church History: Its pretty amazing that our Church has been around 2,000 years! There is so much we can learn from the Christians who have come before us and their relationships with the Lord. Just a few examples include learning about what really happened in the Crusades, how the blood of martyrs has fed our Church, and about how Pope Saint John Paul II helped bring about the fall of the Soviet Union.
3. Sacred Scripture: If the only time you are hearing the Scriptures is on Sunday during Mass, you’re missing out! The Bible is literally God’s Word written for us. There is so much we can learn about our own spiritual journey from passages such as Christ’s sacrifice during the Passion, what Scripture has to say about Christ’s Second Coming, and what the Presentation of the Lord in the Temple has to do with our salvation.
4. Theology: What about the many questions we have about God and our understanding of Him? Learn more about the meaning of the Sacraments, how the devil deceives us, and how we can find freedom from spiritual bondage.
5. Catholic Culture: One of the many things to love about being Catholic is our many traditions and practices. You can more fully live out your Catholic faith by embracing Catholic culture. Celebrate feast days! Gain an appreciation of Sacred art and architecture. Discover God’s fingerprint in things of this world.